Monday, January 16, 2017

"But I'm Not Wearing the Right Shoes for that" {And Other Phrases Toddlers Don't Care About}

The other day my two year old and I went to the library for what I thought was a quick outing. When we were walking out to the parking lot he spotted the park across the street and looked at me with those big brown eyes and said, "Park please, Mama." It was cold out and I had on gray suede flats with no socks. I also did not have gloves or a hat. When the words, "But I'm not wearing the right shoes for that..." came out of my mouth I realized that those words meant absolutely nothing to my toddler. To him he saw the park right across the street and probably thought to himself, Mom and I can walk over there and play right now. Easy peasy. So I chose to take him to the park despite that I was freezing and ended up getting mud all over my suede shoes. It was totally worth it to see him smiling and laughing as we played.  

But this made me think of some other phrases I say to my toddler that mean absolutely nothing to him...

But you ate that yesterday and loved it.

I didn't have time to go the grocery and get more _________.

Your favorite shirt/toy is dirty and in the wash.

We already watched that movie 1,000 times. 

I'm too tired to __________.

But you're not dressed to do that.

I'm 37 weeks pregnant, I can't sit like that.

But we don't have time to ___________.

You haven't taken a bath in 3 days, you need one now.

What phrases do you find yourself saying to the toddler in your life and then realizing, wait, this means absolutely nothing to them!

4 comments:

Amy @ A Desert Girl said...

Haha - so cute! It's true. They just look at us with befuddled expressions. I love that their minds are the way they are!

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

hahaha! One thing I say to Jack all the time is, "Tell me what's wrong" And he obviously doesn't, but I can't stop haha!

Rach said...

Ha! So cute! It's so funny how they just aren't concerned about things the way grown ups are. And how their sweet little minds don't see ALL the different aspects of life. Just want they want to do in that moment. So cute!

Susannah said...

Haha. Yes! This list is spot on! And good for you for taking your little man to the park even in the cold. I don't know if I would have done that. ;-)